Welcome to the TGAfans.com, discussion for Gaslight Anthem music fans! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the Forums!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Show Review Ventura 4/20/13

Show Review Ventura 4/20/13

Postby hsmall » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 am

I saw them last night, and they blew me away! I said I would give a review of the show and here it is.

The soundtrack they used to open the show was "Girls Wanna Have Fun", it was pretty funny. Then after dropping the banner and playing the big chord, they jump right into Howl. This show was very interesting because their guitars were tuned to E standard, so all of their songs were in different keys. Then the 59 sound came right after, and I made my way to the mosh pit that they had. I can't really remember the whole line up by heart, but I'll try to recall everything in order. My favorite song of the night was Senor and the Queen because I was not expecting any pre-59 sound songs and it made it seem like they were playing a punk show from back in the day. After a couple more songs, Brian went on a rant about how Mel Gibson is a racist, and called out an audience member for talking over him. Then they played Queen of Lower Chelsea. After songs such as Blue Dahlia, Old Haunts, Old White Lincoln, Too Much Blood, etc., they threw in the classic Blue Jeans and White Tshirts. It was great. After they played Keepsake, they all put their guitars away and walked off stage. Everyone began shouting for one more song, and we were given five more. The encore had songs such as She Loves You, Muholland Drive, and Mae. They also played Here's Looking at you Kid during the encore. This song was definitely one of the highlights of the night because during Alex's guitar solo, one member of the crew propped him up on his shoulders and walked around while Alex played while sitting on his neck. It was unexpected. Then the final song of the night was The Backseats, which is always a great closer. Over all, a great night. I'm having trouble finding videos of the show on youtube, but check them out when they get uploaded. They never cease to amaze me!
hsmall

Re: Show Review Ventura 4/20/13

Postby johnkelly730 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:24 pm

Sounds like an awesome show! The part about Brian calling out a guy in the crowd reminded me of this video I saw a while back:

Kind of awesome but the way he does it makes him sound a little cocky. Glad he did it though.
johnkelly730

Postby PJK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 am

The soundtrack they used to open the show was "Girls Wanna Have Fun", it was pretty funny. Then after dropping the banner and playing the big chord, they jump right into Howl. This show was very interesting because their guitars were tuned to E standard, so all of their songs were in different keys. Then the 59 sound came right after, and I made my way to the mosh pit that they had. I can't really remember the whole line up by heart, but I'll try to recall everything in order. My favorite song of the night was Senor and the Queen because I was not expecting any pre-59 sound songs and it made it seem like they were playing a punk show from back in the day. After a couple more songs, Brian went on a rant about how Mel Gibson is a racist, and called out an audience member for talking over him. Then they played Queen of Lower Chelsea. After songs such as Blue Dahlia, Old Haunts, Old White Lincoln, Too Much Blood, etc., they threw in the classic Blue Jeans and White Tshirts. It was great. After they played Keepsake, they all put their guitars away and walked off stage. Everyone began shouting for one more song, and we were given five more. The encore had songs such as She Loves You, Muholland Drive, and Mae. They also played Here's Looking at you Kid during the encore. This song was definitely one of the highlights of the night because during Alex's guitar solo, one member of the crew propped him up on his shoulders and walked around while Alex played while sitting on his neck. It was unexpected. Then the final song of the night was The Backseats, which is always a great closer. Over all, a great night. I'm having trouble finding videos of the show on youtube, but check them out when they get uploaded. They never cease to amaze me!

The pre-59 stuff sounds super awesome. Why the hell does Brian rant on Mel Gibson? Worthless info that I sure wouldn't want to hear. The encore sounds fantastic. Sounds like a great concert to go to.

johnkelly730 wrote:Sounds like an awesome show! The part about Brian calling out a guy in the crowd reminded me of this video I saw a while back:
[video]
Kind of awesome but the way he does it makes him sound a little cocky. Glad he did it though.

I hate when band members do this. Why do they waste everyone's time to call out a critic? I don't know about you guys, but when I am at a concert listening and drinking, the last thing I want to hear is a rant by the lead singer about someone in the crowd or about a celebrity. Why not just stop talking and play some music? There will be people all over criticizing you, why not just ignore them and not waste everyones time to call them out? Not only that, 90% of the people there have been drinking and some things may be said that they don't mean. Just play music like people paid for. Or if you are going to stop and talk, why not make it relevant to your music, and not talk about some random person or thing.
PJK

Site Admin

Postby jgmoney1996 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:19 pm

It's fine when Fallon talks. The reason he ranted about Gibson is cause he made a joke about him and some people booed. He then said "Wait, is it not ok to call Mel Gibson a racist?" Then he started his rant. Also, he was in the middle of telling a story (Don't worry, he played more than enough songs.), and someone was interrupting him. He then told the guy to get a beer and let him speak. Fallon was funny if anything, not annoying.
jgmoney1996

Postby hsmall » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:05 am

Heres the setlist:

Howl
The '59 Sound
Handwritten
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Old White Lincoln
Biloxi Parish
Señor and the Queen
The Queen of Lower Chelsea
Film Noir
Old Haunts
Blue Dahlia
Refugee (Tom Petty cover)
Too Much Blood
Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts
Great Expectations
Keepsake

Encore:
She Loves You
Mulholland Drive
Desire
Mae
Here's Looking at You, Kid
The Backseat
hsmall

Postby Stanzalone » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 am

When an artist takes time aside from playing their songs to speak to the crowd they don't do it because they want to talk shit about a specific person, or to waste your time, or especially call out a member of the crowd. They do it to make a connection with their fans in the audience. In the case with Mel Gibson, he probably made a joke and went on a small tangent. I personally like that short period of time when they take a minute to acknowledge the fans and speak to them. They aren't robots on stage that are there to simply play and get off. If you don't want that extra experience from an artist, stay home and listen to the album because you'll never go to a live show and not see the lead singer take a minute to talk about something other then their music.

As for him calling out the people trying to speak over him, good for Brian, they were being rude and he had every right to do and say what he did. Like he said, when people are paying to come see you then you can be the one talking over everyone, or in some cases choosing not, and not making connection with your fans. Then you can play song after song and get off stage. But until then it might be best if you do stay home because like I said, it's an important part of the show.
Stanzalone

Postby PJK » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Stanzalone wrote:When an artist takes time aside from playing their songs to speak to the crowd they don't do it because they want to talk shit about a specific person, or to waste your time, or especially call out a member of the crowd. They do it to make a connection with their fans in the audience.

In general, yes, and that's great. But if they are bitching at a critic, it is a waste of time in my mind.

They aren't robots on stage that are there to simply play and get off. If you don't want that extra experience from an artist, stay home and listen to the album because you'll never go to a live show and not see the lead singer take a minute to talk about something other then their music.

Again, yep, and they need breaks. But if they are going to take 10 minutes to critics 1 guy in a group of 10,000, it is wasting everyones time who paid for the ticket.

As for him calling out the people trying to speak over him, good for Brian, they were being rude and he had every right to do and say what he did. Like he said, when people are paying to come see you then you can be the one talking over everyone, or in some cases choosing not, and not making connection with your fans. Then you can play song after song and get off stage. But until then it might be best if you do stay home because like I said, it's an important part of the show.

It isn't Brians responsibility to call out rude people. That is for the security guards. Brian is there to entertain us through his music. Hence why I hate when entertainers waste everyones time calling out critics.
PJK

Site Admin

Return to General TGA Discussion